Thursday, April 8, 2010

Big Day



"Mommy mommy we found worms!" was the breathless greeting I got when I picked Patrick up from school today and he proudly lifted a yellow bucket aloft for my inspection. He grabbed my hand and took me over to the collection site, where several toddlers were busily excavating a shady spot under a tree. Dirt and sand had mingled with sunblock to make a filthy paste of grime all over their faces and arms, but they were absolutely radiating pure delight. As I gently tried to return some of the hapless worms to their natural habitat one of Patrick's friends came over and rested her shovel on the ground next to me. Did you have a fun day? I asked her. She nodded eagerly. "We found worms," she told me, and then, in what I hope was an unrelated incident, added "and we threwed away my underpants."

No comments:

Post a Comment